Conservative Canada?
Yesterday's Canadian elections have provided me an opportunity to make comments I've been just dying to make. For those who don't know, Canada "went conservative" yesterday by voting in new leadership from the Conservative party. (This post will not address the differences between US and Canadian definitions of "conversative" and "liberal", but suffice it to say that they are, indeed, different.) The purpose of this post is to talk about how rank-and-file citizens view politics.
My political views aren't secret from too many people. I love me some conservatives. Living in the DC-area has clouded my beliefs on something that I used to overwhelmingly believe. That is: "people don't care about politics". In fact, they care much more about politicians than politics. And they don't care much about THEM.
Let me explain. Canada "went conservative" because of scandal within the Liberal party. From my understanding, the scandal up there makes Jack Abramoff and Tom Delay look like nuns (try to avoid the visual there). This provides the perfect case study for my viewpoint. The way they voted yesterday proves that people, at least those people, don't care whether or not their political views are inacted in the form of legislation. If I am a Canadian "liberal", and I voted Conservative, I have basically given the next X-number of years over to the decision-making of those who disagree with me. Does that make sense?
Now, I think corruption should be dealt with (first, it must be proven, but that's a whole other story). I really just hope that, come November, American conservatives will remember that dealing with corruption and surrendering your political views are two widely different things. If you believe Tom Delay is a crook (I'm talking to you TX-22), vote him out! But if you believe in conservative political ideals, replace him with a conservative, not a liberal who tells you that he'll be better simply by not taking dirty money.
Face it. Canada is a liberal place. I'd venture a guess that the average Canadian will regret their vote over the next few years. From their viewpoint, they voted for the right reason but the wrong person. (From my viewpoint, and Canadian conservative is still better than a Canadian liberal....although I'd probably still rather have John Kerry running Canada.....or not.)
In the end, I doubt this article will get as much play as my epic treatise "iHate", but I had fun writing it anyway. It baffles me how anyone can claim to be conservative or liberal and EVER vote for someone who is on the opposite side. The opponent might be a nicer guy, better looking, have kissed your baby, gone to your church, or whatever...but if you truly feel strongly about the issues that comprise your political viewpoint, you aren't doing yourself any favors by voting against it for the sake of something superficial.
My political views aren't secret from too many people. I love me some conservatives. Living in the DC-area has clouded my beliefs on something that I used to overwhelmingly believe. That is: "people don't care about politics". In fact, they care much more about politicians than politics. And they don't care much about THEM.
Let me explain. Canada "went conservative" because of scandal within the Liberal party. From my understanding, the scandal up there makes Jack Abramoff and Tom Delay look like nuns (try to avoid the visual there). This provides the perfect case study for my viewpoint. The way they voted yesterday proves that people, at least those people, don't care whether or not their political views are inacted in the form of legislation. If I am a Canadian "liberal", and I voted Conservative, I have basically given the next X-number of years over to the decision-making of those who disagree with me. Does that make sense?
Now, I think corruption should be dealt with (first, it must be proven, but that's a whole other story). I really just hope that, come November, American conservatives will remember that dealing with corruption and surrendering your political views are two widely different things. If you believe Tom Delay is a crook (I'm talking to you TX-22), vote him out! But if you believe in conservative political ideals, replace him with a conservative, not a liberal who tells you that he'll be better simply by not taking dirty money.
Face it. Canada is a liberal place. I'd venture a guess that the average Canadian will regret their vote over the next few years. From their viewpoint, they voted for the right reason but the wrong person. (From my viewpoint, and Canadian conservative is still better than a Canadian liberal....although I'd probably still rather have John Kerry running Canada.....or not.)
In the end, I doubt this article will get as much play as my epic treatise "iHate", but I had fun writing it anyway. It baffles me how anyone can claim to be conservative or liberal and EVER vote for someone who is on the opposite side. The opponent might be a nicer guy, better looking, have kissed your baby, gone to your church, or whatever...but if you truly feel strongly about the issues that comprise your political viewpoint, you aren't doing yourself any favors by voting against it for the sake of something superficial.

4 Comments:
At 7:39 AM,
Anonymous said…
So should we expect a flood of illegal Canadians to come streaming across the border to take refuge in Boston and NY?
At 10:43 AM,
Leann said…
And to add to what Jeff said...their Toronto airport stinks! Who gives clearance to a Boeing 707 when the tarmac is that slippery. They nearly had a controversy on their hands of say 100 million fans who are never wrong. :)
At 11:13 AM,
Jeff Proctor said…
Yes, Leann. This is the true source of my frustration. ;)
At 1:21 PM,
Leann said…
Well I thought your argument needed a little clarification on where it was so deeply rooted. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about where you were coming from. :)
Can you tell I'm having a better day today?!?!
Post a Comment
<< Home