iHate
For some reason, the topic of my feelings toward Apple has come up a lot lately. I know this is unpopular in my "circle", but when have I been known to pull the fuel away from a fire?
For the past few years, I've really sought to put my feelings about Apple (specifically Macs) into words. I think I cam close this week with the following quote:
"I grew up a computer geek, and I liked it. Then, Apple came along (technically, came BACK) and made computer technology into something that normal people talked about and even obsessed over!"
You see, when I talked about computers, I talked processor speeds, RAM, bus, baud rates, and so on. Now, I hear people talking about which color of computer to buy or how slim and sleek the new iMac looks (I use this iMac at work).
This is the part of the story where I give "props" to Apple. I truly do applaud them for turning something as geeky as personal computing (notice the lowercase "p" and "c") into a cultural phenomenon. It's the USERS that I think got completely snowed. Steve Jobs told you that you would be an enlightened elite member of the computing public if you used his pretty box AND YOU BOUGHT IT!
Here's the technical part of the topic. In my opinion, all of the "advantages" of Macs are only present because of current market conditions that, if Apple and it's users have their way (thus, the world is converted), those conditions will disappear. What, you say? Let's itemize.
1. No (or fewer) viruses - if macs had the market share that PC's have, all viruses would be for Macs. Therefore, Macs are only "virus-safe(r)" because of their market share.
2. Multimedia - yes, macs ROCK for graphics/web/video and so on. However, as more non-multimedia users adopt the platform, what incentive for staying multimedia-friendly will Apple have? The answer: the same incentive that Microsoft has now. Remember, Apple likes money just as much as the evil Microsoft does.
3. Usability/Interface Design - this is an arguable topic. I appreciate the work that Apple does in this area. I still, however, don't see Macs being that much more "intuitive" than PCs. I certainly don't believe that the drive/folder interface is fully appropriate for the 21st century, and both operating systems are still based on that model. Apple has made what they call improvements, but unless they are the first to truly move beyond the current metaphor, they're in the same bucket as MSFT in my book.
4. Not a Big, Bad Monopoly - yet. Let's look at the iPod. Don't think for a moment that the good folks at Apple won't slit a few throats to stay on top. Microsoft got punished because they were smarter than everyone esle, first.
I never EVER thought I'd have to say this, but if your computer makes you feel cooler or in any way feel better about yourself as a person, you have been snowed by the manufacturer. The same goes for your political affiliation, personal philosophy, intellect, and a variety of other things.
So, let the flaming begin!
For the past few years, I've really sought to put my feelings about Apple (specifically Macs) into words. I think I cam close this week with the following quote:
"I grew up a computer geek, and I liked it. Then, Apple came along (technically, came BACK) and made computer technology into something that normal people talked about and even obsessed over!"
You see, when I talked about computers, I talked processor speeds, RAM, bus, baud rates, and so on. Now, I hear people talking about which color of computer to buy or how slim and sleek the new iMac looks (I use this iMac at work).
This is the part of the story where I give "props" to Apple. I truly do applaud them for turning something as geeky as personal computing (notice the lowercase "p" and "c") into a cultural phenomenon. It's the USERS that I think got completely snowed. Steve Jobs told you that you would be an enlightened elite member of the computing public if you used his pretty box AND YOU BOUGHT IT!
Here's the technical part of the topic. In my opinion, all of the "advantages" of Macs are only present because of current market conditions that, if Apple and it's users have their way (thus, the world is converted), those conditions will disappear. What, you say? Let's itemize.
1. No (or fewer) viruses - if macs had the market share that PC's have, all viruses would be for Macs. Therefore, Macs are only "virus-safe(r)" because of their market share.
2. Multimedia - yes, macs ROCK for graphics/web/video and so on. However, as more non-multimedia users adopt the platform, what incentive for staying multimedia-friendly will Apple have? The answer: the same incentive that Microsoft has now. Remember, Apple likes money just as much as the evil Microsoft does.
3. Usability/Interface Design - this is an arguable topic. I appreciate the work that Apple does in this area. I still, however, don't see Macs being that much more "intuitive" than PCs. I certainly don't believe that the drive/folder interface is fully appropriate for the 21st century, and both operating systems are still based on that model. Apple has made what they call improvements, but unless they are the first to truly move beyond the current metaphor, they're in the same bucket as MSFT in my book.
4. Not a Big, Bad Monopoly - yet. Let's look at the iPod. Don't think for a moment that the good folks at Apple won't slit a few throats to stay on top. Microsoft got punished because they were smarter than everyone esle, first.
I never EVER thought I'd have to say this, but if your computer makes you feel cooler or in any way feel better about yourself as a person, you have been snowed by the manufacturer. The same goes for your political affiliation, personal philosophy, intellect, and a variety of other things.
So, let the flaming begin!

5 Comments:
At 7:29 AM,
Leann said…
FINALLY, the republican from Kansas makes an argument I can get behind.
At 9:59 AM,
Jeff said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 10:04 AM,
Jeff said…
First flames? Perhaps, but don't take this too hard. I still love ya.
1. Fewer viruses - your argument is made by MANY Windows users...and quite frankly isn't fully backed up. Even on a percentage basis there should STILL be several thousand viruses for the Mac. There aren't. Can't you admit that the OS X might be more secure than XP (not that it's hard to do). And even if the virus thing were due to market share, wouldn't that still be a good reason to switch if you were fine with Macs in general? ALL the "advantages" are due to market share? That is a ridiculous statement. Macs aren't perfect, and I wouldn't count myself among the Cult of Mac...but I do generally prefer them for usability and convenience. And I am pretty much a "computer geek."
2. Multimedia - I like how your whole argument is based on the assumption that Apple will lean away from these applications as more users buy Macs. Right now Macs are bought for the ease with which you can organize photos, create videos, create personal music...just look at the iLife suite. I just don't see Apple letting the multimedia apps slide. So stop assuming Apple will do it.
3. As a usability minded person, privately and professionally, let me just say that, in general, Macs are easier to use for many people. Not perfect, just easier. Even for PC users that are willing to give them an honest try. I'll admit that it took about 2 or 3 weeks of exclusively using OS X for me to come round (aka break some non-intuitive PC habits), but now I find myself trying to use Mac shortcuts and other things on my work PC. I don't *hate* my PC like you *hate* Macs...I just like Macs better.
4. For the most part, iPod is basically a monopoly. But Apple is doing it off their own hardware...not blackmailing companies into including software from MS that they don't want to include.
5. My Mac Mini doesn't make me feel cooler than having a nice, high speed Pentium 4 HT processor PC would. But speed, RAM, and baud rates alone do not a good computer make. And neither do blatant security holes.
6. Again, FOR THE RECORD, Macs are not perfect. And I don't mean to come off sounding like I think so. But I am sorry that making computers for the "common man" offends you so much that you have bought into the MS Mac-bashing mantra almost as much as you accuse Mac supporters of overlooking "facts."
At 6:43 PM,
Jeff Proctor said…
1. Viruses - the market share model doesn't work that way. If you create a virus, you create it for maximum impact (not 60% for one 40% for other, or whatever the share is). Thus, when Joe Virusmaker sits down to write, he knows his maximum impact is to attack PC, and does.
2. Multimedia - You're right, it is an assumption. I think, however, it has a good basis. If Macs became the preferred system of data-intensive operations, Apple would begin to pander to that crowd just like it did when they became the preferred system of multimedia developers. It would actually be a smart move of Apple's part. I wasn't trying to insult them here.
3. Usability - maybe I don't know all of the short cuts. I'll admit, I'm an F9/F11 fan, and I definitely like the position of the command key on the keyboard. I guess after three months on OS X, I think the overall difference is negligible.
4. Monopoly - I think it's funny that people really care HOW it happened. You could always get a free linux system and all the open source you wanted. But people didn't, and that's not a monopoly.
5. RAM, Speed, and Baud rate - I was kinda trying to be funny here. I realize that I grew up a geek. It has to strike you as funny though how some people today think/feel about their computers (Macs), doesn't it?
6. Common man - my point is actually that I don't think Macs are for the common man, I think they are for the man/woman who sees a computer more as a pretty piece of furniture than anything else. This may not apply to you, but I think you are in the minority, why else would Apple focus so much on external design?
At 7:56 PM,
Anonymous said…
This is an interesting discussion and I'd like to weigh in with a few thoughts.
1. I'd agree with Proctor's points that apple is in business for the same reason any corporation is in business -- to make money. However, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to criticize them on policies they haven't enacted yet-- if apple becomes the dominant brand we don't really know what they'll do -- for example look at a company like Sony, which is known for producing cutting edge innovations even when it is a market leader in other areas.
2. I suppose you can criticize Mac users as buying a product that is largely image for the average user. But seriously, is there anyone here that doesn't buy certain products based on image? Seriously, how much more value is there in having a phone that's an eigth of an inch thinner than the other guy's. Or how about cars -- do Humvee buyers actually drive off road? Obviuosly not, but everyone's got something they buy that doesn't really add much functionality to their lives
Post a Comment
<< Home