The Proctor Post

Monday, November 21, 2005

Oh, But the Fire Went Wild!

I would like to start by thanking those who joined me on the pilgrimage to the Johnny Cash mecca this weekend. I've waited to post about Walk the Line until I've gathered my thoughts more fully about the film. I will do a point-by-point analysis:

Oscar Buzz: While I believe that this film is worthy of such buzz, I don't necesarily think it will win any of the big awards. Well, let me rephrase. It probably depends on the level of the competition. I don't think it would win in a powerhouse year, but I haven't followed the cinema enough this year to know how it stacks up. All thoughts are welcome on this topic.

Joaquin Phoenix: I hated Joaquin before this movie. I cannot think of a role that I have liked him in. In fact, a quick glance of his IMDB profile confirms my belief (although I have not seen Hotel Rwanda and do not know what role he played in that film). That said, Phoenix MADE this film. I was extremely impressed by his dedication to the role and have been even more impressed in watching the Making Of show in which he talks about the whole process. I guess you could say that I'm "walking the line" on Phoenix for now, as even this performance couldn't completely make up for what I've seen of him in the past ;)

Reese Witherspoon: I don't think they could have picked a better June Carter. I must qualify that statement by saying that I've always been a "Reese fan", since a former roomate and current friend pledged undying love for her in college (Dave, if you're reading this, I won't tell Lauren...promise). I think Reese did an amazing job capturing both June's youthful charm and her struggle and dedication to Johnny in the difficult years. Not just any actress could have pulled off that dichotomy so well.

SPOILER!!: They hook up (Johnny and June). I am, of course, joking about this being a spoiler, as anyone interested enough to see this movie should know this point already. I only mention this to say that I feel that the entire team (writers, directors, actors, and so on) did an excellent job of selling the story, regardless of the fact that most (if not all) of the audience knew the outcome. I was well pleased.

I welcome all comments/questions/speculations about the film.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Leann said…

    Joaquin Phoenix played the kid who busted up his dad's dental practice in Parenthood with Steve Martin. Oh it was great. You'd probably like him in that. He plays a brooding teenager pretty well.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would also like to thank those who went with my husband to see this movie. =) I owe you.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger JavaBoy said…

    sounded like a good movie. worthy story for the man in black. maybe i'll pick up some music from him

     

Post a Comment

<< Home