The Proctor Post

Friday, November 18, 2005

Times, They are A-Changin'

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Apologies to those who were sent to jdproctor.blogspot.com as that is no longer my blog. Welcome here and sorry for the delay!

Now back to your irregularly scheduled program:

As you can see, it took all of 24 Hours, 4 Minutes for me to change the name of this blog. I like "The Proctor Post" a lot better though. Don't worry, this will still be a place for opining, clapping, booing, and general tom-foolery. In fact, let's get right to that....

First off, my candidate lost the Sri Lankan presidential election by a 1.9% spread. Close, but no cigar. I suppose I'll be alright because, let's face it, it doesn't really matter to my daily life one bit. It just would have been nice to win. I digress.

TODAY IS A BIG DAY! Tonight, I will be joining a merry band of outlaws to see Walk the Line. Yes, there's some other "big" movie coming out today, but I forgot what that was.

Here at The Proctor Post, things are likely to get a bit, shall we say, political. In conjunction with the title of this post, I want to talk about our nation's migration from "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays". On the surface, I actually don't have a gigantic problem with this, because there are a lot of Americans who do not celebrate Christmas. My only problem with this lies in the motivation (by some) for making this migration. You'll find, by reading upcoming posts, that I'm not a huge fan of political correctness. Reason #1: The ACLU loves it. Reason #2: There is no endgame (talk about job security for ACLU lawyers!). Each time we "protect" a group, another group gets violated. Each time we are poltically correct toward Group A, we tell Group B that their practices violate the rights of others. When this comes full-circle, Group B will be the new Group A. I can actually see how, someday, the ACLU could be asked to stand up for Christmas because the "Happy Holidays" policy does not respect or legitimize the views of the Christmas celebrator. At a minimum, I can certainly see how someone without a December holiday could pitch a fit. Only time will tell.

At The Proctor Post, I would like to make one pledge. I will always "try" to provide a solution when I see a problem. Most times, however, that solution will be comical and rarely will it be a practical approach to the problem. This case is no exception. I think that the solution is to implement some sort of Holiday Profiling plan. If I see a Christian (or other Christmas celebrator), I say "Merry Christmas". To the Jewish individual, "Happy Chanukah". I mean, aren't most "Holidays" fairly easy to point out based upon observable personal traits? My plan gets a little more difficult when it comes to the non-holiday individual. For this, I would implement a standard, non-confrontational practice of refusing a holiday greeting, such as "Sir, I do not celebrate Chanukah" or "Thank you, but my family does not practice that belief".

Instead of protesting and causing a ton of crap (and trashing other people's practices), maybe we could just talk to each other about it.

Happy Chanukah
Merry Christmas
Happy Kwanzaa
Happy Winter Solstice
Happy Ramadan
Feliz Navidad
Happy New Year

4 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Krystal said…

    You forgot:

    Happy Kissing Cousins Day (or is that just in our family?!) ha!

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So just so I know - is this going to be your only blog from here on, or will you continue with the Xanga site as well?

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    Festivus for the Rest of Us

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Leann said…

    But what about the people who spell Chanukkah...Hanukkah???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home